Framework for Social Analysis
This article originally appeared in Issue# 35
- What's happening in this situation?
- How are people hurting? Benefiting?
- Where is the balance between positive and negative impact?
- How is power distributed?
- Who wins? Who loses? Who decides?
- How are the resources allocated?
- Who owns? Who produces? Who consumes?
- Who gains? Who pays?
- What are the relationships among persons/groups here?
- Who is being developed? Who manipulated?
- What are the values exhibited?
- How did this situation develop over time?
- Do our scriptures or religious traditions have anything to say about situations like this?
- Is there an "ethical imperative" here for all persons of integrity?
- What is the wisdom of philosophers and thinkers down through the ages?
- How have other religious traditions responded?
- How closely linked is our theology to the existing situation?
- How might things be different?
- Who can do what to change the situation?