20 Important Reasons to Study the Media
By Chris Worsnop
- Like history, because the media interpret the past to us show us what has gone into making us the way we are.
- Like geography, because the media define for us our own place in the world.
- Like civics, because the media help us to understand the workings of our immediate world, and our individual places in it.
- Like literature, because the media are major sources of modern culture and entertainment.
- Like literature, because the media require us to learn and use critical thinking skills.
- Like business, because the media are major industries and are inextricably involved in commerce.
- Like language, because the media help define how we communicate with each other.
- Like science and technology, because the media help us to learn technology by adopting the leading edge of modern technological innovation.
- Like family studies, because the media determine much of our cultural diet and weave part of the fabric of our lives.
- Like environmental studies, because the media are as big a part of our everyday environment as are trees, mountains, rivers, cities and oceans.
- Like philosophy, because the media interpret our world, its values and ideas to us.
- Like psychology, because the media helps us (mis)understand ourselves and others.
- Like science, because the media explain to us how things work.
- Like industrial arts, because the media are carefully planned, designed and constructed products.
- Like the arts, because through the media we experience all the arts as no other age has ever done.
- Like politics, because the media bring us political and ideological messages all the time - yes - all the time.
- Like rhetoric, because the media use special codes and conventions of their own languages that we need to understand.
- Like drama, because the media help us understand life by presenting it as larger-than-life, and compel us to think in terms of the audience.
- Like Everest, because they are there.
- BECAUSE THE MEDIA GO TO GREAT LENGTHS TO STUDY YOU!